Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My Topsy Turvy

I grew up some tomato plants from actual seed from tomatoes I bought from the store and ate!  And now they are in my new topsy turvy planter!!!

I am so excited!

Some things that I have learned about plants:

1. They need water and sun more than they need anything else. Including soil.  Ex: you can grow a plant in a jar as long as your rinse and drain it every day, or in a zip loc baggie with a wet cotton ball. (In the window)

2.  You can often grow a whole new viney plant by attaching a bag or bottle of soil onto one vine and after it roots, you snip off between the main plant and your bag or bottle and voila!  Ready to plant a new one!

3.  Tree frogs love gourd vines...so does every insect imaginable, including wasps, spiders, bees, and walking sticks and everything else!

4.  Many melon or gourd-based plants cross-pollinate quite readily.

5.  Water can kill a plant if it doesn't drain.

6.  And lastly, that your soil is less important that watering, draining, and sunlight by a long shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Welcome to my page! Pleasleave a comment!

Total Pageviews

Followers

Cheryl Riddle

hi